Sucreabeille - Sweatpants Goblin, Regen - weighted blanket


do you have a 'security blanket' scent?

there was a brief period of time recently when i must confess, i was feeling quite low and generally being a mopey pain in the butt to those around me. even using my favourite sleep scent Rainbow Bridge (which i've written about previously here) was slightly helpful for helping me to fall asleep on those troubled nights, though it didn't really do much for my mood which remained gloomy when i awoke.

i started going through my perfume collection to look for something cosy and comforting, but everything seemed to be coming up empty. florals were soft, aquatics were nicely peaceful and most of my gourmands were yummy, but they all seemed... somewhat distant, not a personal smell. i wanted to find something that smelled like a nice loving hug, calming and comforting.

the timing was entirely fortuitous that i was able to (re-)discover this rollerball of Sweatpants Goblin in my collection. the notes sounded promising (rich, buttery goodness with crystallized honeycomb and the coziest pair of sweatpants ever) and i've had good experiences with Sucreabeille's honey before, so i brought the rollerball out from my cupboard and placed it by my bedside, half hoping it would help while simultaneously not wanting to expect too much.

well, that evening i began to feel overwhelmed again and decided to give it a shot. i liberally rolled at least a two-inch square of oil on my wrist and the same amount on the ends of my hair, then grabbed my weighted blanket and lay down under it, expecting to find myself crying within seconds.

i promise you that i'm not making this up - as dramatic as it sounds, the tears never came and i actually found my breathing stabilise. it was less than half an hour before i found myself calmly drifting off to sleep.

==

Sweatpants Goblin in the bottle is a rich combination of butter and beeswax dripping with honey, but interestingly feels like it would be uncomfortable being classified as a 'pure' gourmand - the cosy fabric is the main star here, a comforting flannel made sweeter by its fellow components.

on application, the scent retains its appealing cosyness though the honey and butter come out more to enhance its gourmand aspects. the rich butter and honey combination reminds me of my favourite Korean snack by Tom's Farm, the honey butter cashew nuts (without the nuts), especially going into the drydown.

if there's one thing about this scent, it's really comforting, like being enveloped in a warm hug by your grandma as she's halfway making a honey butter dessert in the kitchen. this is the perfect smell for just lounging around in, yet equally fitting as a light and casual outdoors picnic perfume. consistent with my experience of most of Sucreabeille's perfumes in oil format, the throw was very personal (less than a foot); the oil applied on my skin wasn't detectable by the time i woke up over eight hours later, but that in my hair still stayed around for an additional couple of hours the next morning.

==

amazing though Sweatpants Goblin is, i don't think it deserves 100% of the credit - the weighted blanket from Regen definitely played a huge part in being, well, my security blanket.

some fun backstory to this one - my husband had received this as a gift from someone concerned about whether it could help him sleep better (spoiler alert: it did, up until the point that he realised that it helped me much more and the blanket underwent a semi-permanent migration to my side of the bed after that).

it was our first experience with a weighted blanket and we couldn't believe that it clocked in at seven kilograms. i had been skeptical in the beginning, especially considering the heat and humidity in Singapore which makes most duvets (let alone weighted blankets) uncomfortable to use, but our fears were entirely unfounded. the bamboo cover was surprisingly cooling, so much so that i could spend an entire night under it and not be sweaty in the morning, even without the use of an air-conditioner.

the weight took a bit of getting used to at the start, though i can confidently say that it was helpful to prevent any uncontrolled flailing around in the middle of the night, and using this has been really comforting for afternoon naps or just to curl up under when i'm feeling down. the weight is just the right balance too - heavy enough to feel reassured and comforted, while being light enough not to feel pinned down and helpless under it.

if you haven't tried a weighted blanket before (whether from Regen or any other brands) it's definitely worth looking into. i can confidently say that this is now my security blanket, a comforting hug for  falling asleep or whenever i'm feeling down. if not for its weight, i could easily see myself dragging this with me around the house like Linus from Peanuts - that's how attached i am to it.

==

this review is of a perfume that i had purchased at regular price with my own money, and a blanket received for free by a family member without any knowledge or expectation of review. i wasn't asked to review either product as a condition of receipt and didn’t receive any incentives for writing this. i’m not affiliated with Sucreabeille or Regen and as always, all opinions remain my own.

Sweatpants Goblin is available here in perfume oil / edp format. prices are US$6 for a 1ml sample, US$12 for a dram, US$16 for a 5ml bottle, US$20 for a 10ml rollerball and US$45 for a 1 oz bottle (before shipping). 

Regen's online store is available here. prices are S$150 for a single-size blanket plus bamboo cover, inclusive of free delivery within Singapore.

all information correct at time of publishing.

Comments